I can’t wait to share some of the coolest jigsaw puzzles I’ve come across over the past few weeks!
A Family of Jigsaw Puzzles Lovers!
I’ve been putting together jigsaw puzzles since as far back as I can remember. When I was little, I would visit my grandparent’s home in Florida and there would always be a bridge table set up in the garage-turned-game room. I would get so excited to be able to help put together the puzzle du jour. Ever since then, I’ve been hooked.
Puzzles were introduced to my boys as soon as they were old enough to understand them. We started out with the wooden Melissa & Doug puzzles with the little wooden knobs and eventually graduated to the traditional cardboard pieces.
Jigsaw puzzles are a great way to pass time during a hurricane (or snow storm). I make sure I have one (at least 500 pieces) on hand.
Present Day Jigsaw Puzzles
Lately (ever since self-quarantining), I have had a puzzle going on my dining room table. TIP: I put the puzzle together on a piece of foam board that I purchased at Dollar Tree for $1.00. This allows me to move the puzzle should we have guests over. (Entertaining days have been few and far between, but in anticipation, I am prepared!)
The Coolest Jigsaw Puzzles Out There
The resurgence of jigsaw puzzles partly came about due to COVID-19. What better way to pass time safely than with a puzzle? There was quite some time in mid March through April where I couldn’t find a jigsaw puzzle to purchase online. Thankfully, some of my favorite sites have replenished their inventory!
You can find jigsaw puzzles out there for just about anyone’s liking. If you love a certain city, you are more than likely to find a puzzle depicting that very destination. Love ramen like I do? There’s a puzzle for you!
Below are some that are either on my dining room table or on my wish list.
Health Benefits of Partaking in the Jigsaw Puzzles Fun!
Bill and Melinda Gates bring jigsaw puzzles with them on every vacation. If that doesn’t say something, here are some other interesting facts.
- Jigsaw puzzles improve short-term memory. Working on a puzzle helps to reinforce connections between brain cells and improves mental speed.
- Looking for a stress reliever? Start a puzzle. I can personally attest that when I am stressed, I sit at my dining room table and start working on my puzzle. After a few minutes of putting pieces together, I feel calmer and more clearheaded.
- Perfect for bonding time! Puzzles are a great way to spend quality time with friends and family. One night we had a couple over for dinner. After we ate, we sat around the table and it was almost natural for us to start putting pieces together over conversation.
- Also perfect for alone time! If I need to take a break and get some quiet time in, I head over to my puzzle. Unless I convince the boys to join me, I am almost invisible.
- Puzzles for those living with dementia and early, middle and late stage Alzheimer’s provide patients with mental stimulation. Puzzles for the elderly with dementia provide comfort and potentially ease some of the symptoms of the disease. Since Alzheimer’s disease deteriorates the brain, patients and loved ones need cognitive stimulation to help keep the brain engaged and active.
Let’s Do It!
Are you a jigsaw puzzle fan like I am? I’d love to find some new puzzles to conquer, so please comment below with where you’ve found some cool puzzles!